The Philadelphia Socialists have turned to crowdfunding site Indiegogo to raise money for their operations.
Here is their pitch;
Who We Are
Philly Socialists is a locally-based political organization which was founded in 2011. In that time we have become one of the leading activist organizations in Philadelphia and one of the most dynamic socialist groups in the nation, with a number of accomplishments to our name.
What We Can Do With Your Support
With your help, in 2015 we plan on:
- Expanding our reach by organizing a new branch in the city (taking us up to three active branches in Philly).
- Continue offering our free GED classes for working class Philadelphia residents and free English classes for non-native speakers and new residents.
- Take on and win a number of fights defending tenants against the predations of greedy slumlords.
- Launch an independent tenants union based on the successes we’ve had with tenant organizing among working class residents.
- Host a number of political education events to promote socialist, proletarian and working class ideas to Philadelphia residents.
- Maintain a presence and offer additional support to the mass protest movements which periodically spring up in the city, with a special emphasis on feminist and anti-racist solidarity.
- Hold a block party celebration at the site of our community garden.
- And much more!
Why We Need Your Help
To retain a resolutely independent political perspective and an orientation toward class struggle, Philly Socialists has always strived for financial independence. From the beginning, we’ve avoided taking donations from foundations, unions, political parties, nonprofit institutions, as well as businesses (big or small). This has allowed us to navigate our own course free from meddling by bigger political players.
But this also means we rely heavily on the financial support of our members and sympathizers. Our activist members make regular monthly contributions (dues) to provide us with a budget for flyers, clipboards, posters, banners, supplies, and all the other infrastructure necessary to operate a political movement.
But we also sometimes need to ask for one-time donations from our members and supporters. We keep our solicitation to a minimum, but now is one of those times we need your support. Our goal of $10,000 through this one-time fundraiser will allow us to provide small stipends to as many as three (3) part-time organizers.
Other Ways You Can Help
We’re an activist organization composed of and fighting for poor and working class people. Not everyone in our group can make a financial contribution, but everyone can do something. If you live in Philadelphia, consider getting involved in our organizing efforts; we always have something popping. If you can’t help us meet our fundraising goals and you aren’t able to get involved in our activist work, please help us spread the word and share this Indiegogo campaign with sympathetic friends.
At least they’re out in the open.
The best part of the campaign though isn’t the Philly Socialist t-shirt or the radical art that you can get in return for a contribution but for the true believers willing to contribute $5,000, the chance to have a tractor or other heavy equipment factory will be named after you.once the Revolution has occurred.
I guess the Socialists don’t see the irony in using a Capitalist tool like crowdfunding to raise money for their very anti-Capitalist goals.